Free Standard Shipping on All US Orders

Your cart

Your cart is empty

Comparing Pillow Insert Materials - Feather Down vs Down Alternative vs Poly Inserts

Comparing Pillow Insert Materials - Feather Down vs Down Alternative vs Poly Inserts

 When it comes to making your living space both comfortable and stylish, the choice of pillow inserts can make a big difference. Whether you’re sprucing up the living room sofa or adding an accent to your outdoor seating, the type of insert you choose impacts both comfort and aesthetics. Let’s dive into the differences between feather down inserts, down alternative inserts, and poly inserts (designed for indoor and outdoor use).

 


Feather Down Inserts: The Luxe Comfort Choice

Feather down inserts are the epitome of luxury and comfort in the world of pillow fillings. They come in various compositions, and we specifically offer pillow inserts with a 95/5 feather down ratio. This blend means that 95% of the filling is feather, which provides structure and resilience (great for karate chopping), while the remaining 5% is soft, fluffy down that enhances plushness and comfort.  Here’s why these inserts might be the perfect choice for your indoor settings:

  • Comfort: Feather down is exceptionally soft and can make any pillow feel like a plush, inviting cloud.
  • Durability: When properly cared for, feather down pillows can last for many years, retaining their shape and fluffiness.
  • Breathability: The combination of feathers and down creates a naturally breathable pillow, ensuring coolness during the summer and warmth in the winter. This makes them an excellent choice for comfort across all seasons.

However, feather down inserts might not be suitable for everyone, especially those with allergies to feathers. They also require more maintenance to keep them fluffy and usually can’t be used outdoors as they absorb moisture.

 Shop our Feather Down Inserts here

 

Down Alternative Inserts: Hypoallergenic and Budget-Friendly

For those who are allergic to feathers or prefer a vegan option, down alternative inserts are an excellent choice. These are made from synthetic fibers like polyester microfiber, offering a similar feel to real down without the allergens. Advantages include:

  • Hypoallergenic: Ideal for those with allergies to down feathers.
  • Ease of Care: Down alternative pillows are easier to care for and are usually machine washable.
  • Cost-Effective: Generally less expensive than real down, making them a great choice for budget-conscious decorators.

While down alternative inserts are comfortable, they may not match the longevity or the exact plush feeling of real down and can have less breathability.

 Shop our Down Alternative Inserts here

 

Poly Inserts (Indoor/Outdoor): Versatile and Durable

Poly inserts, often made from polyester fiberfill, are incredibly versatile and particularly suited for both indoor and outdoor environments. Here’s why they might be the right pick for your outdoor lounges or high-traffic indoor areas:

  • Weather Resistant: Poly inserts are designed to resist moisture and mildew, making them perfect for outdoor conditions.
  • Durability: They hold up well against the elements and frequent use, which is ideal for pillows that need to withstand various weather conditions.
  • Easy Maintenance: These inserts can typically be cleaned easily and dry quickly, perfect for a hassle-free upkeep.

While poly inserts are practical, they might not provide the same level of softness and comfort as down or down alternative inserts. Poly inserts feel stiffer but will not hold a chop.

Shop our Indoor / Outdoor Poly Inserts here

Conclusion

Choosing the right pillow insert depends on where you plan to use the pillows, your budget, comfort preferences, and maintenance willingness. Feather down inserts offer unparalleled softness and comfort for indoor use, down alternative inserts provide a hypoallergenic and cost-effective solution, and poly inserts deliver durability and ease of care, suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.

By understanding the characteristics of each type of pillow insert, you can better decide which one fits your needs, ensuring your space is both stylish and comfortable. Whether you choose the luxurious feel of down, the allergy-friendly alternative, or the rugged practicality of poly, your pillows can perfectly complement your living space and lifestyle.

Previous post